GPs now covered by state backed indemnity scheme
Posted on 02 April 2019
There will be no set limit of indemnity for GPs and individuals won't be at risk of having to meet part of the claim themselves or be subjected to excess fees.
Who is covered?
- General Medical Services (GMS)/Personal Medical Services (PMS)/Alternative Provider Medical Services (APMS) contract-holders;
- GPs and other healthcare professionals (e.g. pharmacists, nurses, physiotherapists);
- All GP practice employees (including management, reception and administrative staff);
- Locums and self-employed workers;
If you are carrying out an activity that is not being delivered under the above contracts, you are covered by the scheme if:
- You are carrying out an activity that consists of, or is in connection with, the provision of NHS services;
- The NHS services are being provided by, or under a contract with, a person or organisation whose principal activities are to provide primary medical services (i.e. the NHS services are provided as part of general practice);
- The activity in question connected to the diagnosis, care or treatment of a patient.
- Non-NHS / Private work;
- Complaints with little likelihood of claim with;
- GMC inquiries;
- CQC investigations;
- Inquest representation;
- Disciplinary proceedings against GPs or their staff;
- Primary care NHS dentistry, optometry and community pharmacy;
- Other legal issues.
This information has been provided by NHS Resolution. For any advice, or to discuss your individual case, email email@example.com or call the 24/7 helpline on 0800 030 6798.
DISCLAIMER: This communication has been prepared by Holt Doctors Limited for general information only. It is not intended to constitute professional or legal advice and you should not rely on its contents. Please seek independent professional advice.